Monday, November 5, 2012

To dread or should I say tread!

Teenagers....you gotta love them.
I'm sure that many of us have been there....you know their choice of style in clothing, hobbies, girls, hair long short coloured or whether this week they might even be vegetarian or vegan. Maybe high protein or low carb diets or if working out at the gym it may be low protein high carb.
I mean really each week or month a different challenge is thrown at us as parents.
So this week in my house hold my 14 year old son has decided that he wants dreadlocks.
I'm all for them expressing themselves showing their individuality etc but I'm not willing to fork out $400 or so for someone to matt up his hair.
So I took my sons gorgeous strawberry blonde locks,
after much research on the net
 
Sectioned his hair
 
Matted his hair with much back combing
 
and matted some more
 
until we had a head full of dreads..mind you he is as pleased as punch.
Me on the other hand.....lets just say it's phase..right...please... just humour me and say it's a phase!
They will eventually drop and sit like normal dreads but for now he will look a little like an Echidna
 
Just a quick glimpse of some burp bibs that I made 16 to be exact.
 
I even got to use my hand made labels.
A look at our beautiful sky tonight.

7 comments:

lousnewsandcraftycreations said...

He does have lovely hair,and yes,it's just a phase,fingers crossed.lol xx

Mrs Flying Blind... said...

Oh he will soon change his mind when they start to smell bad (and they do, I know!) xxx

Stray Stitches (Linda G) said...

I can't even imagine wanting my hair to be like that - lol! Ah but to be a teenager again - NO THANKS!! Beautiful sky - thanks for sharing.

Roseanne said...

Thank goodness my boy was into a lot of thing growing up but he never ask for dreadlocks. But he is into Weight lifting and he is all way growing of his cloths

Cath said...

Lets' agree its a phase! I remember feeling the same way when my, at the time, teenage son decided to grow his hair looooong......ugh! I hated it! Now in his twenties, he insists on keeping a beard which I detest too.
ps...I have tagged you in a game of blog tag. Go to my blog cathquilts.blogspot.com.au/2012/11/ive-been-taggedonce-more to read about it. No pressure - if you don't want to play along, no worries. Just a bit of fun.
Cath @ Bits 'n Bobs

Sew Useful Designs said...

It's just a phase!!!!!!
I've loved reading through your blog, I bet you're such a wonderful mum! Happy sewing! Vikki x

Blogger said...

Did you know that you can earn money by locking selected pages of your blog / site?
Simply join AdscendMedia and use their content locking tool.